Jones calls for hearings on cancelled insurance policies

WRAL.com
By Matthew Burns

RALEIGH, N.C. — Republican 3rd District Congressman Walter Jones on Monday called for congressional hearings on the cancellation of health insurance plans and premium increases under the Affordable Care Act.

Jones said he has received hundreds of calls and emails in the last month from constituents who have been notified by their health insurance providers that their plan has been canceled or that they will be forced to pay a substantially higher monthly premium under the health care law.

He pointed out in a letter to House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform Chairman Darrell Issa and Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Fred Upton that the changes fly in the face of promises made by President Barack Obama that people who liked their insurance plans would be able to keep them under the health care reform law.

“Individuals in eastern North Carolina and across the country are being forced to pay exorbitant rate increases for new insurance plans that they do not want while being prohibited from visiting the doctors that they need,” Jones said in a statement. “This ... is further proof that this law is an unaffordable burden to the average American."

Connect with Walter Receive Updates